If you’re experiencing persistent pain, consider seeking specialized care from a pain management clinic. These clinics have specialists who can help diagnose your condition and assist you in controlling your pain.
Once they identify the cause of your pain, they can create an individualized plan that will work best for you. Whether the pain is chronic or acute, pain management specialists can help. Their training and experience enable them to find the cause of pain and provide various treatment options. If you suffer from persistent pain, here’s what to look for in a clinic:
Education and Experience
To become a pain management specialist, one must attend medical school and complete a medical residency related to pain management. These physicians must also gain further certification from a board of physicians to indicate that they can practice independently. Board certification shows that the doctor has proven expertise and is up to date on medical innovations.
A clinic with board-certified doctors will have met various eligibility requirements and have extensive knowledge and training in pain management services.
Beyond formal education, pain management specialists also gain more experience in the field as they work with patients. When you’re researching pain management clinics in your area, consider exploring the qualifications and level of expertise of the doctors employed there. You may have a higher chance of successful pain management when you work with a team of specialists who are experienced in their field.
If you’re experiencing chronic pain, it can be difficult to wait days or weeks for medical care. Ask questions about availability when you are exploring options for pain management clinics. This will give you a sense of how long you may typically have to wait for an appointment. You can also ask questions about cancellation policies and opportunities for last-minute appointments.
Consider the location of the clinic as well. A clinic near your home may be more convenient, especially if traveling long distances can trigger your pain. If your treatment plan involves frequent appointments, it would also be helpful to have your clinic close by. By choosing a clinic nearby, you may save money on travel costs.
When researching pain clinics nearby, you can often view the services and treatments they offer on their website. You may also find information on what forms of pain they are most experienced in dealing with. A reputable pain management clinic will develop an individualized treatment plan to speed your recovery. It may still be worth exploring the wide variety of potential treatment options they have available. Clinics may offer treatments such as the following:
- Epidural steroid injections: Uses injections that help to treat spinal canal inflammation and related pain.
- Peripheral nerve stimulation: Uses mild electric currents, which are applied to treat a specific nerve that’s causing pain or is damaged in the body.
- Spinal cord stimulation: Uses low-level electric currents which are applied to the spinal cord to help treat nerve pain in the legs, arms, or back.
- Stem cell therapy: Treats pain from causes like joint arthritis or soft tissue injuries by repairing damaged ligaments or tendons.
- Dorsal root ganglion (DRG) stimulation: Uses strategically placed electrodes to help treat individuals with focal nerve pain.
- Facet injections: Uses injections that are focused on specific joints causing pain from inflammation and arthritis.
- Radiofrequency ablation: Uses a probe that delivers thermal ablation to particular nerves causing pain.
- Superion: Treats patients with spinal stenosis by preventing the spine from narrowing, a process that may result in pain in the back and legs.
A pain management consultant may recommend various treatment options depending on the type of pain and the level of pain you’re experiencing. When you choose a clinic with pain management specialists who can provide a variety of treatments, there may be a higher chance of finding the treatment that works for you.
Get Help From the Best Pain Management Clinic
When you’re looking for a pain management clinic, find one with consultants who have the training and experience to treat your pain efficiently. Whether you’re experiencing chronic or acute pain sustained from a work injury, you can find help at a pain management clinic. Find a team with advanced training who can diagnose and treat your condition today.